Go, dogs.
Go!
Go on skates
or go by bike.
Go by foot-
run, skip, or hike!
Go by
scooter! Go by skis- bundle up so you don’t freeze.
Go by blimp,
by boat, by car. Go, dogs. Go! It’s not too far!
In case you don’t know, that’s a quote from one of my first
favorite books, “Go Dog, Go!” I often repeat this in my mind as we travel
around Beijing. Here’s why:
My family and I use many means of transportation. In a country where it’s just not that convenient to have a car, we sometimes have to get creative when it comes to how we get around. I mean, I am really good at driving the Little Tykes car that I had when we lived in Milwaukee, but somehow I don’t think I would get too far here.
Side story: So the other day I was riding on the back of the
bike while Daddy was driving. I started hitting his back and saying “Stop
Daddy! Stop Daddy!!” He pulled over and asked me what was wrong in a very
concerned voice. I turned around and looked at the traffic light and said “It’s
red, Daddy.” … Jeepers, I was just looking out for our safety!!
Mommy says she thinks walking is best. I don’t mind it
usually because I sometimes get to run ahead if Weston is in the stroller by
himself. Often I will turn around and run back to Daddy and say “Watch out for
bikes and cars, Daddy.” Then I hold his hand because I sure don’t want to get
run over! I don’t mind riding in the stroller either, because then I
can have a rest. My favorite times are when Wes and I get to ride in there
together. I “take care” of him by craning my head around his and saying “Hi
Weston” (only a few…ok maybe a few more than a few… times in a row) and
sometimes taking off his hat. I am a really good big brother!!
I saved the best for last---- the subway!!! I really,
really, really like to ride on the subway train, as I call it. My family has
two subway stations that are near our house. It is less than a 10 minute bike
ride to either one. There are SO many subways lines in Beijing. We can get
pretty close to anywhere in the city by riding on them. Most of them are
underground but one of them that’s near our house is an elevated train. I like
to ride on either kind. The people here are very kind and most of the time
someone gets up to give me and Mommy seats. Then I get to play cars or just
make new friends. Sometimes the trains are pretty crowded but during the day, when Weston and I travel with Mom and Dad, they usually aren’t too bad.
By the way- Wes and I are Really good at holding on on the subway train!
Here's a video I wanted to share. The subway doesn't usually look like this, but on National Holiday there were a lot of people in Beijing who wanted to go places.
Well that's about all I can tell you about how I get around. Soon I want to tell you about all the foods that I like to eat (and some that I don't really like to eat) so be on the lookout for that blog!
Rogan, I of course love "Go Dogs Go" too!
ReplyDeleteIt is fun to see pictures of how you get around in Beijing!!! Can't wait to ride the subway with you next spring!
Love Grandma